Spiced Aubergine Mince
MOORISH PRODUCT: Moorish Smoked Babaganoush
SERVE SIZE: 8-10 small Sloppy Joes
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
For the mince:
For the sloppy joes:
- Begin by making the mince. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan. Add in half the aubergine and a good pinch of salt.
- Fry over a fairly high heat until the aubergine has caramelised, and the centre has become sticky. This is really important because it means the natural caramels have come out of the veg, making it naturally sweet.
- Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside; then repeat with the rest of the aubergine.
- Next, add the last tablespoon of oil into the pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes or until they start to soften. Add the garlic and fry for a further 3 minutes before adding the Quorn mince to the pan.
- Stir-fry for 5 minutes before adding the aubergine back to the pan. Add the spices and fry for another minute. Pour over the tomato paste and pomegranate molasses, along with 100ml of water and the salt. Stir and cook gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until it’s all blended into a molten, and slightly sticky, sauce.
- Stir through your fresh herbs and let wilt for a minute. You are now ready to make your Sloppy Joes!
- Split and toast the cut face of the small brioche or burger buns.
- Spread each bun face with 1 tablespoon of Moorish Babaganoush, followed by 2 tablespoons of the spiced aubergine mince. Top each one with some toasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and fresh mint.