Hot Lamb Steak
MOORISH PRODUCT: Moorish Smoked Humous with Chilli Harissa
SERVE SIZE: 1 sandwich
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
COOKING TIME: 5 minutes
For the marinade:
For the onion salad:
For the sandwich:
- First, make the marinade. Mix together the olive oil, garlic, zaatar, cumin and turmeric in a large bowl. Add the lamb steak to the bowl and allow to marinade for at least half an hour.
- While the lamb marinades, make the onion salad. Place the onion, pomegranate molasses, lemon, salt and sumac into a small bowl and mix together. Leave to macerate for a minimum of 10 minutes, when the onions soften, start to lose their “onionyness” and begin to absorb flavour. They will then be ready to use.
- Now the lamb should be ready to cook. Over a high flame, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Place the lamb in the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side, so it is nicely seared but still perfectly pink inside. Remove from the pan and allow to rest.
- Time to assemble! Take the two slices of bread and spread a thick layer of Moorish Smoked Humous with Chilli Harissa on one side of each slice.
- Add a small handful of watercress on top of one slice, followed by a few mint leaves, a layer of the macerated onions, and a handful of pomegranate seeds.
- Thinly slice the lamb and layer onto the other slice of bread. Put the sandwich together and eat immediately!