Green Pea Falafels with
Grilled Courgettes, Feta
and Mint Pittas
MOORISH PRODUCT: Moorish Pea Humous
SERVE SIZE: 4 pittas
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
For the Falafels:
For the pittas:
- Begin by making the falafel. Heat 2tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and add the onions. Cook them slowly for about 15 to 20 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Next, cook off the garlic and green chilli for 2 or 3 minutes, before adding the spices and cooking for a further minute or two.
- Now, add the chickpeas and peas and cook for 3 minutes. Take off the heat and stir in the sesame seeds, herbs, plain flour and seasoning.
- Put in a food processor and blitz until it is blended together and the mixture is between crushed and like a paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and then shape into golf-ball-sized balls. Then roll and coat them in the gram or potato flour and sesame seeds.
- Chill for an hour in the fridge.
- Once chilled, heat a deep-fat fryer or wok with sunflower oil to 180℃. Fry the falafels for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisped up and golden on the outside (the inside will be an iridescent green). Drain on kitchen paper.
- To build the pittas, griddle or toast the pitta bread. Split and then fill each one with 2–3 dollops of Moorish Pea Humous, one of the courgettes (thinly sliced), 4 pea falafels, some crumbled feta cheese, a few chopped mint leaves and a sprinkle of pul biber pepper.